empty home insurance

  • Jason McClean
  • 0 Comment
  • No tags

If your home is empty for more than 30-days then you will need specialist unoccupied insurance to ensure you are protected.

Most standard home insurance policies – the sort you buy from big comparison sites and big name brokers – will give 30-days vacancy in any one period as standard.  Do just check your individual policy to be sure though. If you come under 30-days then you don’t need to do anything else, you should be insured already.

So if you have a bolt hole in the city for work that you live in every week, you will probably not need unoccupied insurance. You are there enough that the risk is reduced dramatically.

If your home is empty for more than 30-days then you need empty home insurance

If your property is empty for more than 30-days at any one time, then you will need specialist insurance. The good news is that this is quite a common form of home insurance and there is plenty of competition to keep prices realistic.

Take precautions to reduce the cost of empty home insurance

Take all precautions you can if your property is empty for long periods of time. This includes the following common sense actions you can take:

  • Make sure valuables are not left on show
  • Join the neighbourhood watch scheme if you can
  • Ask a neighbour to periodically check in on the property
  • Have a working alarm installed and make sure it is monitored
  • Ensure gardens are maintained
  • Use timer switches for lights

The more of these precautions you take, the more an insurer will be able to reduce the risk of covering the property and that should lead to lower prices for you.

Don’t underestimate the power of a friendly neighbour keeping a watchful eye on the property and making sure all is in order. If they clear mail from the doormat that is something that could put opportunist squatters off straight away all by itself.

Instructing a gardener to keep the grass under control is another easy win. A property with a wild garden screams it is unoccupied.

Be honest when asking for an empty home insurance quote

Tell the insurer everything you can as honestly as possible. Then once you have a quote, go to a second insurer and get another quote to ensure you compare prices.

The Property Insurer  offers you access to three of the top UK unoccupied insurance brokers by filling in one single form that takes less than three minutes.

Each of the insurers will contact you and give you their best price. All you have to do is compare the policies and prices and choose the one that is best for you.

Jason McClean



I am a director of the Property Insurer and Property Landlord. We tell it how it really is. Yes property insurance can be boring , but our job is to make it more interesting, useful and above all save you money!