Home / Unoccupied Insurance / Do you need Unoccupied Property Insurance?

  • Jason McClean
  • 0 Comment
  • No tags

IF you are away from home a lot, you may wonder whether you need unoccupied property insurance. It’s common sense that a property that is left empty for a period of time is more susceptible to problems such as theft, flooding, burst pipes, faulty electrics etc. So do you need specialist Unoccupied Home Insurance?

The first thing you need to know is that unoccupied properties are generally covered under your normal home insurance policy – you need to check your own policy wording to be sure though. Most home insurance will allow up to 30-days vacancy as a rule of thumb as this allows plenty of time for family holidays and work absence in most cases. And this is every 30-days, so if your property is empty for 29-days 10 times a year, your normal home insurance will cover it, you only need specialist unoccupied insurance when you exceed 30-days, even on only one occasion.

Do you leave your property unoccupied for more than 30-days? If you do, then the short answer is that you need Unoccupied Home Insurance. There is no avoiding this. If you don’t get the right insurance, then you could face any claims you make, at any time in the year, being refused because you have broken the agreement with the insurer. It’s harsh but that’s the way it is with insurers, if you have an agreement, they will hold you to it. And they will find out, they are investing more and more into insurance fraud departments to catch out people who do not stick to the agreements. And if you are facing a big claim for subsidence, flood or theft, you don’t want to be tens of thousands of pounds out of pocket due to leaving your property empty of 31 days once.

It’s always best to play conservative with the insurers, if you think you will be absent for 30-days or thereabouts, get the Unoccupied Home Insurance just in case. The good news is that it doesn’t cost a great deal more than standard home insurance, indeed, with The Property Insurer you may even save money thanks to our price comparison for Unoccupied Insurance service.

All you have to do is fill in the Unoccupied Home Insurance quote form and compare the three policies and prices. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how close or better than standard home insurance the cost will be.



Unoccupied Property Insurance

Unoccupied Property Insurance

I am a director of the Property Insurer and Property Landlord. We tell it how it really is. Yes property insurance can be boring , but our job is to make it more interesting, useful and above all save you money!